There’s a saying traveling the internet these days that goes something like this:
“What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?”
(Was that as convicting for you as it was for me?)
In keeping with this theme of thanksgiving, I’d like to offer a few Bible verses to help us maintain an attitude of gratitude, not just for one day, but throughout the year…
- Psalm 95:2 – Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.
- Psalm 100:4 – Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
- Psalm 107:1 – Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Psalm 118:24 – This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
- Psalm 136:1-3 – Give thanks to the LORD; for he is good. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever. Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.
- Ephesians 1:16 – I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
- Ephesians 5:20 – Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Philippians 4:6-8 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.
- Colossians 3:15 – Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
- Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, with gratitude in your hearts to God.
- Colossians 3:17 – And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 – Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
- Hebrews 12:28 – Since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us be thankful…
- James 1:17 – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Finally, for those God has placed in our lives, can we share our attitude of gratitude as we say with the apostle Paul:
“I thank my God every time I remember you.”Philippians 1:3